Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Unexpected News

Today I found out that Ian's teacher resigned. I don't know why and I'm sure we will never really know. The kids were told today just before school was over and they were given a letter to give to their parents. I watched Ian walk over to my car looking like he had the weight of the world on his shoulders and as he got in the car he said "It was the worst day ever!" I asked why and he told me "Mrs. Ashworth resigned today and she is never coming back {starting to cry} and I really liked her, I think she is the best teacher and she made school fun!}

He was so sad that even though I had already heard the news it made me cry to see how upset he was. His other concern was that he had two classmates {Connor T and Allie S} who weren't at school to hear the news. He really wanted to make sure that they knew so they were not surprised when they returned to school.

I am saddened by the news, I too liked Mrs. Ashworth. I am also concerned for the class being left so unexpectedly in the middle of their lessons. How do they move forward in such a way as not to disrupt their learning.

I have been saying this a lot lately, but it really is another life lesson. I talked to Ian about how change is hard but sometimes if we keep an open mind to it, sometimes there is something even better in store for us. It's a tough lesson even for adults but I believe Ian is resilient.

1 comment:

Molly Bell said...

Wow shocker! It's a good lesson to point out that everyone has things going on in their lives that we have no idea about and who knows what is going on in Mrs. Ashworth's life.