Saturday, December 25, 2010

Yortoise the Tortoise

Sarah had been asking for a turtle for years and we or I never really thought that we get her one. She asked every birthday and Christmas for a turtle and in the years of asking had become addicted to everything turtle. She owned several stuffed turtles all with the idea that we could keep from ever really entertaining the idea of getting her a real one. Well this year for some reason we decided to give in and get her one. I did a little research and decided to get one that lived only 50 years as oppose to 150 years and will get "dinner plate" or about 7 to 8 inches around as oppose to much much bigger than that. I also wanted one that didn't eat meat so it didn't smell. So once that was all figured out then we needed to have a turtle egg hatch and the likelyhood of that wasn't going to be around Christmas so we decided to get Sarah everything she would need for a turtle and when one hatched {most likely in the spring} she could get the turtle. While we were on our way home from Hawwii on Christmas Eve I got a phone call from the pet store that they had a baby turtle. I called my mom and asked her to pick it up and we managed to have it waiting for her on Christmas morning.
We opened all the presents and left the tank for last and pointed it out to Sarah. She opened it but was rather confused so I asked her "what goes in that tank Sarah?" and handed her the little box that the turtle was in and when she opened it she started to cry with joy saying "I never ever thought I would ever get one". It made the rest of us all cry. 


Sarah named the new addition Yortoise and we have all grown to love the little guy.

No comments: