Saturday, October 10, 2009

Swine Flu {aka ~ H1N1}

So there is a bit of a scare going around about the swine flu, also know as the H1N1 flu. The death rates are up and as of today it is in all 50 states and is wide spread in 38 states, Oregon being one of the 38.
That being said, I was trying not to buy into the hysteria and had not scheduled a flu shot of any kind for me or the kids {Terry gets one every year at the office}. However, I received a note home from the school that Emily needed her 2nd hepatitis A shot and since I had to take her in I asked about the flu shots for the kids and what Dr. Endo's thought were on them. So on Thursday after school I had appointments for us all to receive flu shots and it turned out that all the kids needed their 2nd hepatitis A shot. So on Thursday I picked the kids up form school and headed to Dr. Endo's office but didn't tell them what we were up to {no need to worry them ahead of time} and as we pulled into the Dr's office parking lot both Sarah and Emily started asking questions. "What are we doing here?", "Are we getting shots?" When I told them that yes we would be getting shots the girls started to cry. Ian wasn't thrilled but he put on a brave face.
The kids were all getting a flu shot, H1N1 nose spray, and a hepatitis A shot and I was just getting a flu shot {I didn't qualify to get the H1N1} and when the nurse asked who was going first Emily had no idea that she was talking about the nose spray but she put her hand up and volunteered so bravely to go first. I was so proud of her. With the nose spray out of the way Ian decided that he would go first for the shots and the nurses gave them to him at the same time one in each arm and although Emily was scared she decided to go next. She cried a little but was a trouper. About this time Sarah moved to the floor and started to cry in a curled up ball so I went next to show her it didn't really hurt but that didn't help. She was crying so loud someone came to the room to see if the nurses needed help. I was able to get her on the table and finally talk some sense into her telling her she was going to make it worse if she didn't relax and take a deep breath. I held her hands and let her hide her eyes in my shoulder and the nurses realized the opportunity and quickly gave her both shots in her legs ~ she opened her eyes, just a little shocked, and said "That wasn't that bad!"
Hysteria aside, we are vaccinated and ready for the flu and the swine flu. Here is to hoping that we have a healthy fall and winte =)

1 comment:

The Pink Princess said...

What do you MEAN you did not qualify for the vaccine???