Friday, February 8, 2008

surprising sadness




I am always surprised by the sadness that sometimes overwhelms me in regards to Matthew. It happened tonight because I was looking at his baby book for some pictures that I wanted to scan to get onto my computer for a project I am working on. I opened the book and a wave of sadness mowed me over and took my breath away. It was surprising to me because I talk about Matthew often (without shedding a tear most times) to just about anyone who will listen. I even show his book (with every picture I ever took of him, even the pictures that are hard to look at) to people and most often they cry and I apologies for making them cry only occasionally crying myself anymore. But tonight I miss him so much. My heart aches for him and I am profoundly sad. Tomorrow will be another day, I will have put one foot in front of the other and moved on... until the next time when I am surprised 


I love this picture of us together. He is only 1 month old but he is smiling at me.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

I love the picture of him smiling at you too. He knew from day 1 that you're a great Mom.

k. said...

Beautiful picture of the two of you looking at each other... the connection is clear.

Scrapbook1 said...

Having met you and Terri and finding out your struggles from losing a child , I am grateful to know that you put my life's challenges in perspective every time I think of what you to have to deal with. I also see a very strong family unit that never takes one day for granted. Thanks for the daily perspective and thanks for your friendship!

Tara Edwards said...

I wish I could be there to give you a big hug.

Scrapbook1 said...

I have to add one more thing that actually might make you laugh. I love the pic of you and Matthew looking at each other, but don't you wish the oval templates to cut out pics would of been banned! I love looking at my baby book and seeing all the octagon, heart, star shape pictures I had to cut out. So sad!!!!! At least they make me laugh now!

Jan said...

What a beautiful picture! I am compelled to say, that I know that a mother's love, and that connection are forever..... eternal. I do not think you will ever feel differently, and that is hard, but at the same time, a sweet sorrow too. He's still near. I know it's just me, but I believe he knows of your love and that his spirit continues to soar, healthy and well. Some things we just can't snuff out, you know. He was a beautiful little boy, wasn't he?
My mother passed away three years ago last week. I still feel that ache from time to time. It comes in big waves...sometimes with a tear, and sometimes just with a heavy sorry. I still want to call her and to touch her sweet face. She was so precious. Now I'm all teary. I'd better go and scrub something. Or, I could allow myself a moment to just remember.....