Saturday, December 22, 2007

My Christmas Cards are (finally) done! Yeah!


Today is the 22 of December, there are only three days until Christmas and I have just finished writing and printing my Christmas letter and addressing and stuffing all the cards. Whew! Boy am I glad that is done. I really don't mind doing them and I REALLY love to receive them but I sometimes struggle to write the letter. I try to let our far away family and friends know what is going on with us with a sense of humor. A couple of years ago a few people told me that they loved my letter and couldn't wait to get it each year. It really made me feel good but the pressure was on to be funny when I went to write that years letter. The letter was deffinatly the hold up this year. I wanted it to be funny but I only have so much to work with (unless I want to make things up). So, here is this years letter and card, in the end I just had to let go and send it.
MERRY CHRISTMAS!





Emily reminded me as she looked out the car window, “the leaves are falling off the trees, it must almost be Christmas” which led me realize that it is once again time to take a stab at the annual Sedgewick Christmas letter. Although the leaves are long gone here it goes.

Ian started 3rd grade and continues to be a sports-addict, playing any sport I am willing to drive him to. He gave up soccer this year for football. Yep, my little 3rd grader is playing football and when I say little I mean it (although there was one boy smaller than Ian). His team had a losing season (2-6) but it didn’t bother him, Ian loved football and his favorite part was “hitting people” (go figure). Turned out to be a great sport for him, he could actually hit other boys and not get in trouble (not to mention that he looked oh, so cute in the uniform). He is currently playing CYO (Catholic Youth Organization) basketball and he has started his second year of CYO swimming but decided to give Lacrosse a try this coming spring instead of baseball (too much standing around and not enough contact for Ian). He is continuing Boy Scouts and playing the piano (without much pushing from mom, Yah!). Apparently, playing the piano has given him the music bug and he and some boys from school have even started a band. They don’t have a name yet and so far it is all just talk and no actual playing has occurred but if you ask Ian he is in a band (I have even caught him singing made up songs. Funny, very funny!). It is now official; all three of my children have cut their hair. Ian just waited until he was 9. I noticed it the other day when I was brushing his hair, there was a conspicuous hunk missing from the center of his bangs. I asked him when he cut it – blank stare. I then asked him what the heck was he thinking. His answer “I don’t know”. So who knows what a 9 year old boy was thinking when he took scissors to his own hair but needless to say he is now sporting a much shorter hair cut.

Sarah is in 1st grade this year and loves to learn so much so. I found out at her conference that she has been known to read books under her desk while the teacher is talking. The teacher has moved her closer to the front of the class so she can keep a better eye on her but that doesn’t stop Sarah, she still gives it her best shot. Lucky for us the “kissing” she was so fond of last year has stopped and she has mastered other more acceptable ways of irritating her brother like singing or repeating him. She played soccer again this year and I think she actually liked it this time – less whining and more playing. She is also continuing gymnastics and although has not quite mastered the splits is still trying, (ouch!) She is such a love bug with a snuggle and a complement for everyone she comes across with a little sassy mixed in (usually saved for mom). She has a huge heart for both people and animals and has decided that she wants to be “one of those people who take care of pets when they are sick” when she grows up. Much to Sarah’s delight she has started Girl Scouts and I was crazy enough to volunteer to be the cookie manager for the troupe (although I managed to get someone else to keep the cookies, now I won’t be tempted to eat them all). Sarah has also started piano lessons this year (not as willing as Ian to practice) and is trying to convince me that she needs to take a dance class as well. Where will we find the time?

Emily is in her last year of preschool ending a 6-year stint at Bethlehem Preschool for me. She has a style all of her own and I can count on the fact that if I pick out her clothes she is not going to like them. If I let her she would still be wearing her sleeveless summer clothes all year long. If I dare to put her in a turtle neck she pulls on the neck and makes a choking sound that sounds a lot like a cat coughing up a hair ball (it is so funny I almost want to put one on her just to watch her, but I’m not THAT mean). Her most preferred outfit are her PJ’s (short sleeve nightgown pj’s are the most fav), which she changes into as soon as she gets home and would wear all day everywhere we go if I would let her. And if you ask Em, feet are meant to be bare. So, in a word, she is 4, and wants to do things her own way which often makes for battles with mom and life more interesting in general. She has been blessed with the Sedgewick “art” genes and spends hours creating, tape being her favorite medium. My new name for her is “pig pen” (with love, of course) because she leaves a wake of tape, cut up paper (she LOVES scissors), stickers, sticky notes, pens and crayons to name a few, for me to pick up after her. I defiantly can’t keep up with her! Em also takes gymnastics and loves to show me how she can almost do the splits too! She is looking forward to going to the “big school” next year just like Ian and Sarah although I have mixed feelings. She is growing up right before my eyes weather or not I am ready. Well, it looks like it is a hair-cutting year in the Sedgewick household. Today I noticed that she had cut her hair again! (yes, again. If you remember from last years letter she cut her hair or should I say butchered it last December) When I asked her why she cut her hair again she answered “well mom, I told you I wanted short hair”. So there you have it. She has a mind of her own, that is for sure!

Terry keeps himself busy both at work and at home. He spent the better part of the summer working on his “last” project, a brick and black iron fence, and then he would be done with all projects. I am not the only one who snickered and didn’t believe him. I was sure another project would come up and after four years of outside around the house projects his next project turned out to be an art project and let me tell you it is a BIG art project because Terry doesn’t do anything small. He purchased his Christmas present early (a plasma cutter) and has been busy working on a life size steel horse. He is working on it down in the garage in the front house so I don’t see it very often but it actually looks really good (Terry would be the first to say I am his biggest critic!) The question everyone is asking including me is “Where is it going to go” Terry’s answer “We’ll see when I am done.” Terry had another big year of traveling – he went on his annual golf trips (Bandon Dunes and Mexico) but the big trip this year was to Ireland. He had a great time golfing but from what I understand they were lucky to survive the treacherous roads.


I as always keep busy with getting the kids to and from where ever they need to be but actually spent some of my free time perusing my passion of photography. The Starbuck’s in our area feature local artists every month and in October it was me, and the Christmas card we sent this year was some of my photos as well. I have even managed a few “girl trips” with some friends, to the beach, Sunriver and to see my friend Jess in another play. The common factor in all of the trips was MUCH laughter. I still enjoy my book club (which has been going for 9 years) and scrapbooking but I have started another hobby – blogging. A friend got me started and I must admit I am addicted. It would be the reason I am behind on getting this letter out – blogging instead of writing this letter. The blog is just about everyday life in the Sedgewick household but if you are interested in reading it send me an email at Ssedgewick@aol.com and I will send you an invitation to it (it is a privet blog for the safety of my kids).

We wish you a very Merry Christmas and a healthy and happy New Year!
The Sedgewick’s
Terry, Susannah, Ian, Sarah, Emily & assorted animals

“Rejoice in the Lord always”
Philippians 4:4

No comments: