Thursday, February 14, 2008

I Want Candy...

Sarah and Ian gave up candy for Lent. When they first said what they were going to give up I thought it wasn't going to be that hard for them (last year Ian gave up electronics) and I was a little disappointed but didn't say anything. They really don't have candy very often and were also thinking about giving up ice cream (a much harder sacrifice in my eyes) but I was still glad that they were making a sacrifice (even if I thought a small one) to help remind them of the HUGE sacrifice that Jesus made for us every time they didn't have candy during these 40 days of Lent. Turns out it has been a very big sacrifice for them after all. We occasionally stop at the 7-11 on the way home from school and the kids usually pick out a piece of candy and I stopped there without thinking the other day and it turned out to be a difficult decision for them but they made the right one. The hardest day by far - Valentines Day. On Valentines Day there was candy ALL around them. Valentines Day parties with boxes of candy hearts and chocolate candy, candy grams, with candy kisses, and Valentines wrapped in candy. Everywhere they looked there was candy. As they walked to the car carrying their Valentines Candy I felt bad for them. Sarah managed not to eat any candy but as Ian got into the car he told me that he only had one candy heart but that he had prayed to ask if he could have candy and reached into the box of candy hearts and pulled out a heart that said ""Yes Dear" so he ate it. Life is simple when you're a kid. We left for Sunriver right from school so their candy went with us and I heard out of their mouths several times how much they wanted some candy but they resisted (even pawned some off on me which I ate) and there were no more prayers to ask for permission. I am so proud of them both for making the sacrifice out loud and for sticking to it. 

2 comments:

Tara Edwards said...

I love it. Both the candy, and that you are back! I'm trying to give up peanut butter, but not for anytning so nobel. It's hard to give up treats! Tell them good job! And welcome home!

k. said...

You have good kids. That was a very sweet post. I love that Ian got permission, too. :)