Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Mailbox Blues


As I was driving home tonight it crossed my mind that I haven't checked my mail in several days and even thinking of my mailbox brought a touch of sadness. I am not normally prone to the "blues" but the current state of the box even now as I write this brings a tinge of sadness. Its not that the box is  broken in any way, it is actually a beautiful mail box, it was one of my husbands summer bricking projects. It is just that what now waits for me inside the mail box is not very exciting, bills, magazines, adds and a few coupons. Not necessarily bad (except maybe the bills), it is just that the excitement that I have felt about going to my mailbox over the past four weeks is no longer there. I love to get mail. Not the bills and such, but real mail. The kind that tells you about how whoever sent it is doing. I miss the Christmas cards that filled my mailbox all through December. I loved the thrill of driving home on that same road and mounting the crest and turning in the S turn and wondering with excitement "has the mailman been here yet?". Opening up the box and seeing it crammed with mail, fun and exciting mail! Opening up the envelopes and seeing the beautiful and funny cards, reading the letters of those so inclined to send one, and looking at the wonderful pictures (my favorite). Now the mailbox is filled with bills and such and I go days instead of hours before checking to see what is inside so as I drove home tonight I thought about checking my mail and realized that I haven't checked it in several days and I was sad for what I wouldn't find there. I decided maybe I would check it tomorrow. 

No comments: