Friday, December 7, 2007

I survived

I checked in bright and early with Terry by my side and changed into a hospital gown and then was wheeled in a hospital bed (it was strange) to the pre-op holding room where they put in an IV. When the anesthesiologist came in he catted with me and gave me something through the IV and almost immediately the room began to spin like I was drunk but not. Dr. Black came in and chatted with Terry and I and the next thing I remember was someone talking to me and although I thought I hadn't had surgery yet they said something that sounded like I had so I asked "Am I done already?" and to my surprise they said yes. I had no memory past the pre-op holding area. When they moved me into my room my lovely friend Aideen was there to greet me and it was a good thing she was because I was still a bit loopy and wasn't comprehending the directions for my pain medicine or the "game ready" cold pump thingy (i think the best way to describe it is an automated ice bag that wraps around my knee). Every time they talked to me and I concentrated on paying attention my eyes would cross. Aideen took me to pick up my pain medicine and crutches and then she took me home and got me settled on the couch and nice friend that she is stayed and helped me until she had to go pick up her kids, she even went and got me a yummy sandwich and soup for lunch. Terry had been on call the night before so he had a case to do after work so I called Nikki (a favorite babysitter of ours back from collage on Christmas break) so she could help with homework, dinner, bath and bed time. Over all it went well and the pain was easy to keep under control. On my second day post op I continued to take it easy but did run a few errands (my nephew Jarrod drove me around) and only needed to take two pain pills throughout the day. I was feeling so good that I decided to go to the going away party that Tara was having for the Johnsons and although by the end of the night my knee was starting to bug me overall things are going very well.

This is a picture of the inside of my knee that they took with the scope, they also took a picture of Terry and Dan Herr and then my knee all wrapped after the surgery.

No comments: