Ian was the first one up (surprise) and the girls followed shortly. I had stayed up way too late and could barley open my eyes but stumbled down the stairs because I wanted to watch the kids open their stockings. When I was growing up the "tradition" for our stockings was that we could get them down and open them before the grown-ups got up (I am sure it was just for them to buy time and keep us from bugging them). They became such a highlight of Christmas for Gerri, Mickey, and I that we have all continued the "tradition" with our own kids except I love the stockings so much that I don't want to miss the kids opening them. On Christmas Eve it is our "tradition" to open one present from Mom and Dad. It is always Christmas PJ's but this year I surprised them by putting a toy in the box. Ian got Pokémon cards in his and the girls got Webkinz stuffed animals in theirs. It was definitely a hit and an added "tradition" that I am sure that the kids will want to continue. Grandma and Jerrod came up and the kids posed for our "traditional" Christmas morning picture (in their new Christmas PJ's of course) and this year I even managed to get in a picture myself.
After the formalities were out of the way we all opened gifts (yippee!). Ian's "best" gift was his skateboard and ramp, Sarah's was her DS lite and some games, and Emily, well Emily liked them all saying often "that's the best gift ever!" It was very cute. AJ, Uncle James and Auntie "G" (Gerri) joined us later in the morning for Christmas breakfast (brunch) instead of our "traditional" Christmas dinner. Gerri works nights and worked until 8 that morning and then had to go in again later that night. We love our "traditions" but are willing to change some of them so we can spend Christmas with family because isn't that what it is all about?
It is hard to believe that Christmas is over and that a week from today it will be 2008 but it was a wonderful Christmas and my hope is that my kids enjoy our "traditions" as much as I do and pass them along to their kids when they grow up.
2 comments:
Very cute. I knew I forgot something this year. Dang!
Well if they follow others......like you they will keep some (those that touched them while growing) and then add some of their own....like you have done!!
Post a Comment